Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Thank You

As part of my new year's resolution to stop living out of a suitcase, I bought a piece of furniture via Craigslist. It was too heavy to carry on the subway so I perched myself on a corner in Alphabet City and waited for a taxi. A taxi van soon turned the corner to which I waved frantically. (I guess I have yet to perfect the stylish "hand in the air" of Manhattan-ites.) I ask if it's OK to bring in a piece of furniture. "Yes". I hop in and off to Chinatown we go. I always feel a bit awkward sitting in a silent taxi so I started asking the driver questions about his job and such. Ya' know, small talk but the pleasant kind. Helmi was his name. What a nice guy. When we got to my apartment, he actually offered to carry the shelf up the stairs for me. Seriously, wow. It's nice to know that kindness warrants kindness. All is right with the world. *warm fuzzies :P

2 comments:

Nhonsense said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Nhonsense said...

I'm normally not a frequent commenter but I know a little about taxis (having taken two a day for half a year).

They're awesome most of the time. Once in a while I find someone that's having a bad day, and with those folks I'm okay with putting on my headphones and turning up Jenny Lewis. But for the most part, they're really interesting people. They love to talk. About anything. They'll speak frankly of their failures, their families, and their past lives. Many many past lives. Beautiful ones. And contrary to popular belief, they still believe their lives are good. Sure, they admit the work is rather difficult, but they get on with it and take you from A to B for the price of C. There were many days when the only piece of conversation I wanted to note came between me, a taxi driver, and a thin piece of plexi-glass.

Talk about dashboard confessions. I can't even get into the same room as Jenny Lewis.

Taxi talk > ipod introspection